Thursday, February 2, 2012

WiPs: The Ombre Experience - installation exhibit

Earlier this year I received the worst news an art teacher could ever imagine to receive: official word that the budget has been CUT.

The good news was that the other teacher and I had anticipated the strong possibility of such a thing happening so we ordered huge amounts of supplies at the beginning of the year in one shot. The bad news was that we both had just enough small orders that still needed to happen that they ended up on the chopping block when the budget was cut.

I was definitely frustrated with the whole thing but the materials I had intended to buy were not intended to be used until second semester so I just kind of put it out of my mind until I was closer to second semester. Before I knew it second semester arrived and I needed to be in problem solving mode.

I'm not gonna lie. I was a bit panicked over the whole situation. But as I have been taught, when I have no answers and am full of self-doubt, the best thing to do is to pray about it and then sit back and watch as faith moves the mountains before you. And just as God is always provident, He provided an idea for something truly amazing that is absolutely new and completely cool for me to do with my amazing student artists in 3D. And it just so happened that we had all of the stuff we would need in order to do it.

Here are pictures of some of the students working on what will be the very first installation exhibit my school has ever seen.  They have taken to the project idea with their whole hearts and I'm delighted that the project also provides opportunities for instruction and learning of foundational technique and art knowledge just as much as it does what any good visual artists seeks to do - which is make the extraordinary out of the ordinary AND introduce a new perspective of which to regard life and the world around us.




I don't want to give away what and how the project is until we get to the end of it where it is installed and I can take pictures of it all done but the last image here is a good clue that I will confirm for you (that serendipitously occurred in a paint tray today) - it is the sun! Or perhaps... a metaphor of the Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...