The foci of our latest creative endeavors (yes - there are way more than one) include but are not limited to the following:
- Learn how to draw and paint from observation
- Learn how to make marks with greater integrity and of a more "painterly" quality
- Get a feel for working with wet into wet mediums with oil pastels that will segue us into oil paint
- Learn how to create space within a work of art using an open palette of colors and their values
- Working alla prima type fashion
- Draw less of what we think something looks like (i.e. "lollipop" and broccoli trees) and more of what things really look like
Our set-up to work en plein air utilized the following materials:
|Large drawing boards with Blick sulphite paper quickly and simply "stretched" with masking tape|
|Individual cups with single servings of one of each color from Crayola's Portfolio-brand Oil Pastels to give each student artist an open palette. Some students also opted to bring a fine-tip sharpie as well.|
While the morning gave us plenty of rain, the afternoon provided just the right amount of overcast so it wasn't too sunny or hot to work out in our favorite spot surrounded by lots of interesting looking trees and a great view of the sky for attempts at both treescapes and cloudscapes.
|This shot was heavily processed via instagram (my username is DreamPrayCreate, of course!) as the sky wasn't nearly so ominous looking as is pictured. Please pardon the artistic license I took.|
And because I am doing my best to fight a horrible cold and flu bug sweeping through my school community and trying to overtake my household, I am barely making it through the day without indulging myself in the only vice that I think I might ever have: an ice cold can of Dr. Pepper bought at a heavily inflated price of $1 from the school store. The way I see it, at least I am supporting the school by indulging myself, right?
|Also from my instagram feed. One of the alumnae that follows my instagram stream said the shadow cast makes me look like I am taking in an afternoon smoke or something. *facepalm* I AM NOT A SMOKER. I'm only a drinker of Dr. Pepper.|
And I will not end this with another apology OR promise to be back here soon with things that I easily won't deliver.